MINOR Rights

Contraceptive Services

Teens can access contraception and birth control without a parent if they are at least 18 years old. This means that teens generally cannot self-consent to contraceptive services. However, there are certain situations where teens can self-consent to these services:


  • A minor who is married
  • A minor with a dependent child
  • A minor who is emancipated
  • A minor who is independent of their parents/guardians and support themselves
  • A minor who is or has been pregnant has or had a communicable disease or has or had drug/alcohol abuse problem

Clinics may ask for documentation to support any of these qualifications (e.g. court order, pay stub, etc). Be sure to ask if you need to bring anything to your visit, when you call to make an appointment.


Many teens CAN self-consent in these instances:

  • Any minor at a Title X clinic
  • A minor who is insured through SoonerCare (Oklahoma Medicaid)

Not all clinics apply! Check out our Sexual Health Resource Guide to see which ones do, or ask about self-consent when you call to make an appointment.

Join our movement!