RESOURCES for Faith Leaders
64.9% of Oklahoma County residents identify as religious, which is higher than the U.S. average. It is important for our Collaboration to have meaningful relationships with faith partners and effective strategies for reaching teens in faith communities. Our Collaboration recognizes that we need to develop unique strategies for working with our faith communities and have made efforts to build their capacity to do this work. Below are several resources that we have identified that provide medically accurate information for faith communities.
Talking tips for faith leaders
- Share values without shame
- Focus on the positives
- Have resources available, you don’t have to be the expert
- Facilitate group discussions, create a space for group learning
- Matter of Faith: Support for Comprehensive Sex Education Among Faith-Based Organizations, Guttmacher Institute
- Founded in 2001, the Religious Institute is a multi-faith organization dedicated to advocating for sexual, gender, and reproductive health, education, and justice in faith communities and society.
- The Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice (RCRC) is a broad-based, national, interfaith movement that brings the moral force of religion to protect and advance reproductive health, choice, rights and justice through education, prophetic witness, pastoral presence and advocacy.
Looking for more detailed information about sexual health? Check out our Sexual Health Resource Guide.