Navigating sexual health with patients, families, teens, and young adults is extremely important. While sex can be difficult to discuss, we want to make sure you’re prepared to have the right conversations when they come to you to talk about it.
Tips for talking to teens
- Listen and learn; they are the experts at their own thoughts and feelings
- Reserve judgment and control your emotions
- Pick the right time like an activity or meal, sometimes talking is easier when it’s less formal
- Ask open-ended questions
- Build trust, be honest and look for opportunities to relate to each other
- Validate their thoughts and feelings